Monday, June 21, 2010

The invitations are here! The invitations are here!

The invitations are here! The invitations are here!

Designed by moi and letterpressed by Kseniya Thomas of Thomas Printers. I thought about learning to letterpress to do it myself...but that would not have been cost nor time effective.

Kseniya was incredibly fast too! She had these printed and ready to ship in a few days after go ahead! It was ridiculously fast! Not only that, she had really great pricing.

Our invitation design inspiration?

Smock Paper's Engadine. Air liked the simplicity of it. At least, I think it was this one. Or something similar. Basically a silhouette of leaves. The folio thing is pretty darn awesome too.



Bella Figura's Barcelona. The overlay of the motifs made another color...so awesome!




Then it hit me.

the shower curtain (from Target?)

AHA!

Leaf prints! Brilliant me!

Leave it to Martha Stewart to have some crafty instructions about this. 


I decided a red Japanese maple leaf would be perfect - since we both love Japanese maple trees (they're so perdy) and the color would fit great with the color scheme.

So I borrowed a few leaves from our neighborhood Japanese maples trees and went to work making some prints. I ended up just using acrylic paint instead of fabric paint (they didn't have the right kind at Michael's) and using my hands and another sheet of paper to press instead of using the brayer (a $20 Michael rip off).


I made a lot of prints.

Then I scanned the better ones into the computer and used Adobe Illustrator Live Trace to create vector images of the leaves. I picked a few leaves for clean up, then layed them out and starting adding text. Adding the text layout was super fast - I thought it was going to take me forever...as is the way of things creative.

Here is the end result!


I also got the plates so I could play with them in my Lifestyle Crafts Letterpress :) muhahhaha. Anyone have any non-wedding related muses for artistic inspiration?

2 comments: